In September 2013, an INTERREG IVA funded project started in Sligo. The purpose of the project was to build stronger relationships between the local authority and the business community and within the business community itself. A dedicated cross sector group of businesses have worked hard for the last two years on learning more about town centre management, destination building and improving cooperation and collaboration within a defined business area.
Along the way, the group used the INTERREG funding secured by Sligo County Council to complete a number of separate projects including:
- Winning the Tourism Award –The Purple Flag
- Installation of 12 electronic footfall counters
- Promotional Material for Sligo Tourism including B2B Presentation packs, new stands and videos
- Dedicated mobile app Sligo.ie with a free self managed profile for every business
- New relationships with other towns and cities in Ireland and the UK
- Lighting projects e.g. Water Lane and the three town centre bridges
- Two accredited town assessors
As the project finished in March 2015, the business group that had participated in the project in the building of a town team and noting the recommendation of professional town and city management specialists, decided to continue to the next logical step for Sligo – to form a BID. This decision was made after two years investment in time and learning from other towns and cities.
We, the members of this group, believe that in these challenging economic times the businesses in Sligo need to come together and work with each other to strengthen what our great town has to offer. Everyone will contribute a very small amount that will add up and enable significant enhancements.
Sligo is here to work for you and with you to increase the footfall in our town, to attract more businesses and to secure a long term sustainable model for the management of our town. BIDs are business-led and provide you with the opportunity to have your say on the delivery of projects that will make a tangible difference to your business. We have now submitted a formal proposal to Sligo County Council and in early December the businesses in Sligo will be given the opportunity to have their voice heard in a plebiscite.
Standing still is not an option. If we, the business community, do not get behind this proposal then we will miss this much needed opportunity – the opportunity to ensure that Sligo fulfils its potential and provides the best experience for our customers, staff, and residents.
Sligo BID will work actively on:
- PROMOTE SHOPPING IN Sligo AND INCREASE FOOTFALL
- ATTRACT MORE RETAILERS AND BUSINESSES IN TO OUR TOWN
- CREATE A SUSTAINABLE MODEL OF TOWN CENTRE MANAGEMENT
- DELIVER YEAR-ROUND EVENTS AND CAMPAIGNS TO PROMOTE THE TOWN
- BE AN INDEPENDENT BUSINESS-LED ORGANISATION RUN FOR LOCAL BUSINESSES BY LOCAL BUSINESSES
- ENABLE COLLABORATIVE WORKING TO ACHIEVE COST SAVINGS TO INDIVIDUAL BUSINESSES
- EMPOWER BUSINESSES BY ENSURING THAT THE BUSINESS VOICE IS HEARD
- Work together on RATES, TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT & ANTI-SOCIAL BEHAVIOUR
Membership of Sligo BID is meant for the business people in Sligo within the BID area, and every member will have an equal say in its democratic governance. We will control our economic future for the benefit of ourselves, our neighbours, our families and our customers, through BID. “…every member will have an equal say in its democratic governance”
Please click here to download more information